Here’s a quick how-to for planting a succulent terrarium. I used a hanging terrarium for my plant.
pebbles / smooth stones
I used this kit from H. Potter, it came with these adorable bags.
1. Add charcoal. This prevents gross things. (it’s also used in aquariums)
2. Add pebbles. (I put the pebbles on top of the charcoal because it is such a small terrarium and I wanted to keep the charcoal from the plant as much as possible.
3. Add sphagnum moss. This is a filtration layer, also helps soak up excess water.
4. Add cactus mix (dry so you can dust it off your plants). I recommend using a straw to gently blow off any excess soil, careful not to unintentionally cover your plant in soil in the process.
5. Put in Succulent. After the plant is in place you can wet the soil. Be sure that the plant is straight up and down. This plant has already started growing sideways. It’s best if they are symmetrical that way the plant does not expend excess energy to receive sunlight.
6. Decorate!!! I used small seashells and a seashell pieces. You can use tweezers to place shells or items in hard to reach places. Have fun!